Monday, November 30, 2015

Cruising: The Perfect Place to Start Anew


Cruising: The Perfect Place to Start Anew 


A cruise is the perfect place to break old habits and start new ones. With no cell phones, emails, or texting, and none of the responsibilities of home or work, it’s your chance to refresh, rejuvenate and recharge.  

That’s what I did anyway. I just got back from cruising and, I have to say, I feel like a new guy. 

Healthier physically and mentally. And you can, too. Everything you need is right there—food, entertainment, solace, activities, spa, new friends. Well, the list is endless. So while you’re traveling the high seas in style, here are some tips to get you started in freshening up your old self.  

1. Make a pledge to shed (weight)! Sounds like an oxymoron. I mean, seriously, who loses weight on a cruise? But it’s not only possible, it’s not that hard if you plan a little.
The average gain on a seven day cruise is seven to 10 pounds. Ouch. But I went the opposite direction—I lost 14 pounds and three inches off my waist! While everyone else was gaining weight, I was shedding it at a pace of more than a pound a day.  So what did I do differently than my fellow passengers? I made a promise to myself: no extra pounds! That’s right-- I made a decision that my cravings and lack of willpower were not going to own me. But to do that, I had to rethink how I was going to make that happen. Which brings me to point number two… 

2. Drink, drink and drink some more (of the good stuff)
Water and unsweetened teas were my friends and kept me feeling full and hydrated. I added lots of fresh lemon and honey to spice it up. Plus lemon is a great detoxifier. I stayed away from all sodas, including diet sodas, juices, coffee, energy drinks and, yes, alcohol. I know that sounds painful, but it works like a charm. 

3. Move!
I used the stairs and stayed away from the elevators. It kept my metabolism working and was a great little workout throughout the day. My smart mom once gave me excellent advice:  When walking upstairs, skip every other step. It helps build up quad muscles. Dang, I love the stairs and, I promise, so will your body. 

4. Exercise
Every ship I’ve been on has a great gym and workout classes. If that’s not your thing, walk the outdoor track around the ship and take in the beautiful ocean and scenery. Throw on a pair of good shoes and walk if that’s the best you can do. The important thing is to exercise every day. When you select tours, try and pick options where you’ll be doing a lot of walking. Every time you sweat, you’ll release toxins and salt, and that’s a very good thing. Aim for an hour of exercise each day. That doesn’t mean it has to be all at once, but it certainly adds up.  

5. Get on the scale
Weighing yourself every day helps you notice any gains while they’re small and easily corrected. It’s a lot easier to lose two pounds than 10. 

6. Sign up for shipboard activities
While it’s tempting to join the others who are endlessly sunbathing, drinking, playing roulette, reading and eating, get involved in the daily activities. Look for ping pong tournaments, basketball games, and dance contests. Not only are they fun, you’ll meet new people and burn calories. Also try classes on upcoming ports and excursions, trivia contests, and ship tours. When you stay busy, you have less time to walk past the buffet line and grab cookies and fries. Plus, doing stuff is way more fun anyway.
7. Get off the ship and… walk! 

If you’re not doing an excursion, get off the ship and explore by foot. This is actually my favorite way to explore a port of call. Grab a guidebook so you see the best attractions at your own pace. On a few of our ports, I simply got off the ship and got in the ocean and spent an hour swimming and jumping in the waves. It was my own little heavenly water aerobics. (It’s pretty hard to swim and eat at the same time. Bonus!)
8. Eat wisely 

When you’re surrounded by a 24-hour buffet, this can be tough. Except it doesn’t have to be. For me, breakfast consisted of fruit, yogurt, and protein (like eggs). After a big breakfast, I skipped lunch, but ate a midday snack. I indulged on dinner, with appetizers and dessert. After a day of exercise and sensible food choices, hey, I deserved it. I was done eating by seven o’clock. In my opinion, going to bed with an extremely full stomach is pure misery.
9. Unplug 

Put that phone and laptop down. I promise you, the world won’t stop spinning because you aren’t texting and emailing. Your investments won’t implode and your house will still be there when you return. Taking an electronic break is manna for the soul. You’ll feel amazingly “better” after just a day. Stress and anxiety will vanish in a snap and you’ll enjoy your cruise far more.
Yes, you can enjoy a cruise, lose weight, start new habits, and have the time of your life. Doesn’t that sound like fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment