Thursday, September 3, 2026

Tommy the Turtle Keeps His Promises - A Children's Story

Tommy the Turtle Keeps His Promises

Moral of the Story:

Keeping your promises shows others that they can trust you, and when you follow through on what you say you will do, you build strong character, earn respect, and become someone others can rely on, because your word is one of the most valuable things you have.

Near the edge of a calm, sparkling pond, where lily pads floated gently and dragonflies danced in the sunlight, lived a thoughtful little turtle named Tommy.

Tommy had a strong shell, steady legs, and a kind heart.

He wasn’t the fastest animal in the forest.
He wasn’t the loudest.

But Tommy was someone everyone liked.

One morning, as the sun rose over the trees, Tommy made his way slowly along a path near the pond.

Along the way, he saw his friend Ricky the Rabbit hopping quickly past.

“Hi Tommy!” Ricky said. “Do you want to come play later?”

Tommy smiled.
“I would love to,” he said. “I just need to finish gathering some food first.”

“Great!” Ricky said. “I’ll meet you by the big oak tree this afternoon.”

“I’ll be there,” Tommy said.

Ricky hopped off happily.

A little farther down the path, Tommy saw Katie the Koala sitting in her tree.

“Hi Tommy,” Katie said. “Would you be able to help me carry some leaves later today?”

Tommy paused for a moment.

He had already told Ricky he would meet him.

But he didn’t want to say no.

“Sure,” Tommy said. “I can help.”

Katie smiled.
“Thank you, Tommy. I’ll see you this afternoon.”

Tommy continued on his way.

Soon after, he came across Penny the Penguin by the pond.

“Hi Tommy,” Penny said. “I’m trying to move some stones to build a little path by the water. Can you help me later?”

Tommy hesitated again.

He had already promised Ricky.
He had already promised Katie.

But he didn’t want to disappoint Penny.

“Of course,” Tommy said. “I’ll help you.”

Penny clapped her flippers happily.
“Thank you!”

As the morning went on, Tommy made a few more promises.

To Daisy the Deer.
To Harry the Horse.

Each time, he said yes.

Each time, he smiled.

But as the sun moved higher in the sky, Tommy began to feel something strange.

His heart felt heavy.

“How am I going to do all of this?” he wondered.

When afternoon came, Tommy slowly made his way to the big oak tree.

Ricky was already there.

“You’re here!” Ricky said excitedly. “Let’s play!”

Tommy looked at Ricky… and then looked toward Katie’s tree… and then toward the pond.

“I… I can’t stay long,” Tommy said. “I told Katie I would help her.”

Ricky’s smile faded just a little.
“Oh,” he said quietly.

Tommy helped Ricky for a short time, then hurried over to Katie.

Katie was waiting.

“Hi Tommy,” she said. “I’m glad you came.”

Tommy helped her carry leaves, but his mind kept drifting.

“I told Penny I would help her too,” he thought.

After a short while, Tommy left Katie and made his way to the pond.

Penny was there, waiting.

“Tommy!” she said. “I’ve been waiting for you.”

“I’m sorry,” Tommy said. “I had other things to do.”

Penny looked disappointed.

Tommy helped her for a few minutes, but he was already late for helping Daisy.

By the end of the day, Tommy had tried to do everything.

But something wasn’t right.

Ricky felt rushed.
Katie felt unimportant.
Penny felt forgotten.

And Tommy felt tired and sad.

That evening, Tommy sat quietly by the pond.

“I wanted to help everyone,” he said softly. “But I didn’t do a good job for anyone.”

Just then, Daisy the Deer walked over.

“Tommy,” she said gently, “you have a kind heart. But making too many promises makes it hard to keep them.”

Tommy looked up.

“I didn’t want to say no,” he said.

Daisy nodded.

“Saying yes to everyone sometimes means you can’t fully keep your word,” she explained. “And your word is important.”

Tommy thought carefully.

“My word is important,” he repeated.

The next morning, Tommy woke up with a new plan.

As he walked along the path, Ricky greeted him again.

“Want to play later?” Ricky asked.

Tommy smiled.

“Yes,” he said. “And I will be there.”

A little later, Katie asked for help.

Tommy paused.

“I would like to help you,” he said kindly, “but I already promised Ricky I would play with him today. Can I help you tomorrow?”

Katie smiled.

“That would be wonderful,” she said.

Later, Penny asked for help too.

Tommy answered the same way.

“I can help you after I finish what I promised,” he said.

That afternoon, Tommy went to the big oak tree.

Ricky was there.

And this time…

Tommy stayed.

They played, laughed, and enjoyed their time together without rushing.

Ricky smiled.

“I’m glad you stayed,” he said.

Tommy smiled back.

“Me too,” he said.

The next day, Tommy helped Katie.

And the day after that, he helped Penny.

One promise at a time.

One task at a time.

And something wonderful happened.

His friends trusted him more.
They felt valued.
They knew they could count on him.

Tommy the Turtle had learned something very important.

It is good to help others.

It is good to say yes.

But it is even more important…

to keep your promises.

And from that day on, Tommy became known as the turtle who always kept his word.

When you make a promise and follow through on it, you show others that they can trust you, and by being thoughtful about what you commit to and doing what you say you will do, you become someone who is dependable, respected, and valued by everyone around you.

💬 Thoughtful Questions for Kids and Parents

1.      Have you ever promised to do something and then forgotten or could not do it? How did it feel?

2.      Why is it important to think before you say yes to something?

3.      What is one promise you can make today and be sure to keep?



No comments:

Post a Comment