Friday, January 15, 2016

5 Communication Tips To Help Transform Your Relationships

5 Communication Tips To Help Transform Your Relationships

 Share on Tumblr   
By Bill Conley, Guest Author - December 16, 2015
Couple communication.jpg 
Communicating well is an essential component of every good relationship.
Who doesn’t have hot-button topics in their relationships, whether that be with a husband, friend, co-worker or child? Those “avoid at all cost” conversations that typically end in arguments or hurt feelings when they’re over.
The topic might be about how unhappy you are in your marriage, or how one of you is spending too much money, or a child you may suspect is doing drugs or asking for a raise at work. You get the picture. I think we all have conversations that we dread having because, really, we simply don’t know how to communicate about them well.
In fact, oftentimes those conversations are avoided until the problem becomes so extreme that it is no longer possible to ignore. By then, your conversation is too often explosive and little is resolved. And at the end of it, you like and respect each other less.
Pretty much everyone I know has had experience with chatting about tough topics. Let’s take an example from my sister, “Lilly” and her ex-husband “Ed”. She shared this story with me and gave me permission to share. Lilly had come home from a business trip and was going over their finances when she noticed that Ed had spent money outside of their budget. She immediately questioned him on it.
"Ed, you went to Costco and spent $300 on what?” she asked. She was tired from a long flight the day prior and overwhelmed by the dirty home and piles of laundry that awaited her.
“I bought a coat,” he said too loudly. “I make enough of money that I can buy a coat if I want one.”
Lilly yelled back, “You can buy what you need but you can’t surprise me by it.”
And there it started. “You’re a control freak,” Ed yelled.
“You’re lazy,” she yelled back. “Look at this house.”
“I took care of the kids while you were gone. You can’t appreciate anything!” said Ed.
And pretty soon, Lilly was telling Ed she wanted a divorce.
Honestly, nothing could save their marriage and, because Ed had substance abuse issues, nothing should have. But Lilly learned a very powerful lesson in that relationship: communicating well is “make or break.” So true!
And one thing that my clients, friends and family members who have struggled in their relationships have all learned, poor communication too often means a relationships death. We must be able to talk about tough topics in a sane (and safe) manner. When Lilly’s divorce was final, she started working on healing and learning how she could be a better partner. She was also hell-bent on ensuring that she would not find herself in another relationship with a similar man. She needed to make better choices, and she needed to do better, too. Communicating well was an essential part of that.
Not long ago, I stumbled on a life-changing book, Choosing Clarity, by Kim Giles. The techniques below have helped me transform my own relationships and to counsel others on doing the same. And since becoming a Life Coach, I’ve counseled couples, parents and children, and individuals about how to communicate better.
As I and my clients have incorporated some of these strategies, I’ve become far better at approaching my partner, children or other important people in my life and having those “hot button” conversations. I believe if you use them and tweak them so they are appropriate for you, your relationships will improve, too. After all, communicating well is an essential component of every good relationship. If you can’t communicate, odds are that your relationship is in deep trouble. So try these tips below. I think you’ll find them incredibly helpful.
Bill’s top 5 communication tips:
1. Choose to see people as your equal:
You might think this is nuts. I mean, not everyone is the same. But try not think you are “better” than everyone else. Smarter, better looking, more successful, funnier… (I know—this can be hard sometimes!) Seriously, none of us have any idea what has made another person who they are. And, especially those that we love or are in our lives (like a co-worker or neighbor), we can treat them respectfully and before we can do this consistently, we have to believe that they are not super beneath us. In doing so, it will bode well for how you treat others in your life.
2. Concentrate and free yourself from distractions:
When you are ready to talk to someone about an important topic, set aside all distractions. Put all your electronic devices away, turn off the TV, and seek privacy. If this is a conversation with your partner or a friend, try to wait until your children are in bed. Or perhaps go for a walk or out to dinner. Personally, I like to have conversations in a car, if appropriate. If you are talking to a boss or co-worker, find a private office or sit outside. Making sure you have privacy is important. When you talk, make eye contact. And, make sure your partner is ready to have a conversation, too. How? Simply ask.
3. Ask questions. Listen:
When you are chatting, ask probing questions. Seek to understand. Do not interrupt. Keep that eye contact. Nod occasionally. Wait until they have paused before jumping in.
4. Ask permission to share:
Ask permission to share your thoughts, feelings and beliefs. I mean, seriously ask. Like, “Can I share my opinion with you?” If he/she says “no”, ask when it is a better time. Schedule it just like you would any other meeting.
5. Don’t make accusations:
The biggest word to avoid is “you.” It sounds accusatory. Instead, use a whole lot more “I.” As in “I believe that if our spending continues at this rate, we may need to file for bankruptcy. We may lose our home.”  Also, you want to focus on changing future behaviors instead of dredging up the past.
Before you have any conversation, try to be as calm as possible. I am not a big fan of heavy drinking, but perhaps a glass of wine is in order. Or a session of yoga. A hot bath, a long walk… Anything that will help center you. If you start off a conversation without going into it angry, it will help.
Best of luck! I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how effective these new tips will be in your life.
-Coach Bill

To learn more about this subject, please free free to contact me at coachbillconley@gmail.com

Sound advice for life (Motivation coach and speaker, Entrepreneur, Life Coach, Author, Father)

Twitter:  billconley7

Please go to billconley.net and take the free personal values assessment.  It only takes a few minutes and at the end of the assessment you will be emailed a 15 page report that I am sure will be enlightening to you,.

You may click on the link below to take the assessment.

4 comments:

  1. My experience on how i won power ball lottery with the help of a voodoo spell caster

    My name is Michelle Teel And i live in USA, New York, I have to give this miraculous testimony on how i won power ball lottery with the help of Dr. Jakiki magic lottery numbers. I won $ 900,000.00 USD and my life have change entirely for good. All my debts are been settled and cleared. I am here to say that Dr. Jakiki is the best to contact if really you need help in winning lottery. I have spent so much money playing this game for many years and i have never win a reasonable money,all i ever won is $245. But Dr. Jakiki help me and i won $900,000.00usd. Sir Jakiki i am very thankful to you for what you did for me. I just brought a house and a car last week. With these great Dr. you can win millions of money through lottery. I am so very happy to meet these great man,God has use him to bless me and others people. Please their is no harm in trying,i will advice you to contact him now for you own winning lottery numbers and i assure you that he will help you and your life will also change around for good. Email him for your own winning lottery numbers: Spellcasthome@gmail.com Call or text him +1 (402) 892-2486
    Read through his website and see others testimony: http://spellcasthome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is unbelievable. Sometimes it's good to try out somethings,
    My name is James Rodriguez, few weeks ago I saw a write-up about Dr Sambo helping someone to win huge amount of money , I have it a try and now here I am a millionaire. Dr Sambo made me very rich by giving me lucky winning numbers to play and I won . Dr Sambo is the solution to every poverty on earth . Contact him now Email: divinespellhome@gmail.com or divinespellhome@yahoo.com
    Dr. Sambo Whats,App.+2348145810121 and be as happy as I am right now

    ReplyDelete
  3. My testimony on how i won £4,000,000 with the great help of Dr Davi powerful lottery spell: Call him +55 (11) 97732-4658   
    It's unbelievable how fortunate I feel after finding your website. For the past 14 years, I have been looking for a way on how i will win lottery. Money situation was one of the biggest problem to me. I had a huge amount of debt and I didn't know what to do. Out of complete and total desperation, I contacted many of those so-called individuals who promised powerful magic to win the lottery, witchcraft or black magic. None of them worked and none were as wonderful, affectionate and warm as Dr Davi has been. He is definitely different from the others and I felt immediate hope and strength from hearing about the promises he had to offer. He carries an air of purity and divine strength that is as pure as fresh snow on the ground. I requested Dr Davi most powerful spells and I was relieved right away that I had someone to solve my problems for me. His spells worked wonders,i won (Four Million pounds) my money troubles resolved itself after winning the lottery. My life change over night,i now have my own house and two cars,also i am free from my debts. Dr Davi, I have no idea what I would have done without you being there to help me out. If you are there and you need a powerful magic to win the lottery,Dr. Davi is the right person you need to trust and work with,i promise you that you will also win and share your own testimony. You can contact him via email:

    Spelltemple@fastmail.com Call or text him +55 (11) 97732-4658 

    ReplyDelete

  4. I want to say a big thanks to Dr. Jakiki for helping me to win the lottery. I won ($1,000,000.00)

    I never thought i will share a testimony with so much joy in my heart today, years has gone by without a fruitful reward over playing the lottery daily,i have spent a lot on tips on how to win the lottery,but when i came across Dr.Jakiki my life change for good. I requested a lottery spell,and he cast the spell and send me the winning lottery number. Now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of Dr.Jakiki. I won $ one millions dollars and I am making this known to every one of you who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery with better price amount, this is the real contact we all have been searching for. Contact him now:

    Spellcasthome@gmail.com or Spellcasthome@yahoo.com His web site: http://spellcasthome.blogspot.com

    Text or call him now: +1 (402) 892-2486

    ReplyDelete